Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Potty Training?



Sunday morning after Mikey took his bath to get ready to go to Grandma’s for the day, Mikey tugged on my pants, as he does when he needs something, and said potty. I asked him if he needed to go potty and he said yes. I squatted down next to him and said let’s go potty. I pulled his pants to his ankles and took his diaper off and sat him on his little potty. He tinkled!! I was so excited, I clapped and said good boy! Mike ran and got him a cookie for being such a big boy.

I was hoping this would keep going and he liked to use his potty like a big boy. Nope, not at all. I got home today and he told me he needed to go potty, so I took him to his potty and sat him on it. He freaked out . . . crying, screaming and throwing a fit. I let him get off and he pointed to the big potty, so I lifted him up and he started crying again. I put him down and he ran off. Ok, I have a naked baby running around telling me he needs to go potty, but won’t, this is not good. Yeah, he tinkled all over the floor! Another peed on thing I have to clean up.

This boy can’t keep his clothes on. I turn my back and he’s taking his pants off, working his way to the diaper. I really don’t mind him running around the house with his clothes off, but he sure needs to wear his diaper, I hate cleaning up potty messes and with cleaning up after the animals, it’s more than enough.

There’s been mornings where we wake up to a naked boy and his clothes & diaper just thrown on the floor next to his crib. A few weeks ago, I decided I wasn’t going to wake up to a stinky naked baby. I now duct tape his diaper every night before bed. Yup, it really works! I wake up and he’s in his diaper and no mess to clean up! Thank you Cherie for the best advice for raising a boy.

I really thought Mikey was showing signs of being potty trained. The joy it would bring. Way too good to be true. I tells me every time he needs to and when he has gone, he can pull his pants up and down, he cleans up after himself and he tries to wipe himself when I changing a messy diaper. What else is there to do? I guess it’s all up to him. He’s not even 2 yet, but almost. I think it’s time, or at least I’m ready.

1 comment:

Julie said...

But at least he's starting! He's still young too... :) Miss you!!